This post may contain affiliate links meaning that, I may make commission if you purchase through my links. Learn More.
Running short on time? Feel like you never have enough time for some self-care? Think again. These 5-minute self-care activities will have you feeling refreshed in five minutes or less!
Self-care is an essential part of our lives. Many of us mistakenly view self-care as a privilege, rather than a necessity. With that, when life gets busy, our self-care gets pushed to the back burner.
We say we “don’t have the time”, “don’t have the energy”, or even “don’t deserve” self-care.
This is SO wrong… and a total recipe for disaster.
Self-care is essential for maintaining a life of health, happiness, productivity, and overall wellness. Where so many of us slip up is thinking that self-care has to be a long, luxurious, or expensive process.
At its core, self-care is simple.
Self-care does not need to be time-consuming or extravagant. There are plenty of under 5-minute self-care activities that can leave you feeling completely refreshed and rejuvenated.
Even something as simple as drinking a glass of water or taking a deep breath can be an act of self-care. Resist the urge to skimp on self-care because of the misconception that you “don’t have enough time”.
Next time you come home from work feeling burnt out, don’t shy away from self-care out of exhaustion. Instead, lean into the small, simple, 5-minute self-care activities. These small acts of self-care are what will ultimately make you feel refreshed and ready to move forward.
Remember: self-care is essential. You deserve consistent and routine acts of self-care – no matter how big or small.
Find a way to fit self-care into your schedule daily. If you are running short on time or energy, use this list of 5-minute self-care ideas to quickly care for your health and well-being.
80 Relaxing 5-Minute Self-Care Ideas
- Step outside and breathe fresh air
- Stretch your body
- Look up inspirational quotes
- Shut your eyes and rest
- Grab a snack
- Consciously unclench and relax your body (from the top down – eyes, lips, jaw…)
- Drink a glass of water
- Have a mental check in with your mind and body
- Put on a happy song
- Take a quick shower (this really helps to refresh and energize you!)
- State positive affirmations
- Wash your face
- Put on your favorite pair of comfy pants (I LIVE in my Old Navy loungewear)
- Take a short walk
- Do some yoga
- Practice deep breathing
- Apply a hair mask
- Tidy up your space, wherever you may be
- Do a mini workout circuit (exercise dice are perfect for this!)
- Pin some fashion inspiration on Pinterest
- Watch a quick YouTube video
- Make yourself a coffee
- Apply a charcoal face mask
- Add lemon or fruit to your water
- Find a yummy recipe for dinner tonight
- Eat some fresh fruit
- Give yourself a foot massage
- Put on good-smelling lotion
- Read an inspiring blog
- Journal in a 5-minute journal
- Have a cup of tea
- Lay down for 5 minutes – no distractions
- Write a list of things you love about yourself
- Write a gratitude list for your life
- Put on fuzzy socks
- Call a friend
- Work on your vision board… get re-inspired!
- Remove your chipped nail polish
- Jump rope
- Have a solo dance party
- Talk to your partner
- Cuddle a pet
- Use a scalp massager (this feels SO good!)
- Look at cute puppy photos
- Savor some chocolate (or your sweet of choice!)
- Find a new positive instagram account to follow
- Take a shot at writing some poetry
- Send a kind text message
- Watch a couple happy TikToks (only a few!)
- Have a braindump in your journal – get it all out!
- Cry (this is actually a great form of emotional self-care!)
- Listen to an inspirational speech
- Do cat & cow yoga pose for 5 minutes
- Light a candle
- Diffuse essential oils in a diffuser
- Walk around you house – sometimes just getting moving can clear your mind
- Draw something
- Do a brain game/puzzle
- Read one page of a daily book (The Daily Stoic is my favorite)
- Freshen up! Put on some perfume or good-smelling deodorant.
- Put your hair up and out of your way
- Clean out one drawer of your desk
- Empty your trash in your room – sounds weird but, trust me, you’ll feel lighter afterwards
- Give a hug
- Give a stranger a compliment on social media
- Buy yourself something online – treat yo’self!
- Read a positive news article. We could all use some more good news!
- Watch a candle flicker – this is actually a meditation technique to calm the mind.
- Do a 5-minute tidy. Go through your house and pick up as much as you can in 5 minutes! You’ll feel productive and clean after!
- Make your bed
- Open your blinds and window – sunlight and fresh air is good for the mind!
- Paint your nails (at least try to do this in 5 minutes… #impressive!)
- Learn about self-care types for the future
- Decide on a new TV show to start
- Sing your heart out to your favorite song
- Put your bare feet in the grass – there are many benefits to this
- Do absolutely nothing at all!
Who says you can’t practice self-care in 5 minutes or less?
There are TONS of 5-minute self-care acts that you can do when you only have a few minutes to spare. In fact, incorporating short bursts of self-care throughout your day may be a great way to get them in. Routine, consistent self-care is key for a happy and healthy life!
Next time your mind tries to trick you into thinking you are “too busy” to show yourself some self-care, pull out this list. Self-care, at its core, is so basic. We do not need to overcomplicate it. Simply doing something that feels good to your mind, body, or soul is an act of self-care.
Which of these 5-minute self-care acts will you try first?
Let me know which fast self-care activity stuck out to you! What are you most excited to try? Tell me in the comments!