This post contains affiliate links meaning that, at no additional cost to you, I make a small commission if you purchase through my links. For additional information, visit my affiliate disclosure.
Looking to spice up your self-care habits? Creating a DIY self-care jar is the perfect way to add a new element of excitement to your routine.
Have you ever felt like self-care is something you have to do rather than get to do?
If we fall into the habit of making self-care activities just another thing on our to-do list, they start to lose their appeal.
This is what I call self-care burnout.
Instead of refreshing you and making you feel happier, your self-care routine feels stagnant, boring, and ineffective. Don’t worry… we’re going to solve that today.
If you’re in need of spicing up your self-care life, making a DIY self-care jar is the perfect idea for you.
What is a Self-Care Jar?
A self-care jar is a solo take on the popular date jars we see for couples.
Essentially, a self-care jar is a collection of fun, relaxing, or refreshing self-care ideas that you can pick from whenever you need a pick-me-up.
This is similar to creating a self-care kit, but requires fewer supplies, time, and effort.
A self-care jar can be put together using supplies you likely already have around your home.
It’s a simple, quick, and easy way to add a new spin to your self-care activities!
Why Make a Self-Care Jar?
As mentioned above, a self-care jar is a fun addition to your existing self-care routine. Additionally, creating this jar of self-care ideas can be a really helpful tool in starting a self-care practice.
Whether you routinely engage in self-care actions or not, this can be a great way to ignite refreshed passion and motivation.
This jar adds an element of excitement. In a way, selecting an activity from the jar feels like a little surprise. This game-like element may make you feel more inclined to actually follow through on caring for yourself often and consistently.
How to Make a DIY Self-Care Jar
This is such a fun and simple DIY project. Creating a self-care jar is quick and uses supplies you already have laying around your house. If you’re ready to get started, gather the items listed below and get ready to start creating!
- Clean Mason Jar
- Paper (Colorful for Fun/Color-Coding!)
- Self-Care Brainstorm List
- Stickers, Washi Tape, or Other Decorative Add-Ons
- Instead of a Mason Jar, feel free to use any container you’d like. This can be a bowl, mug, box, vase, old candle jar, etc. Anything works!
- Instead of using paper, you can write your self-care ideas on popsicle sticks.
- Instead of using a pen to write your own ideas down, you can print out or type up your self-care acts.
- Instead of creating a physical jar, you can create a digital list and use a random number generator to select an activity when the time comes.
5-Step DIY Self-Care Jar
Have your supplies ready? That’s the very first step.
Now, let’s dive into the 5-step process for creating your own customizable self-care jar.
Step 1. Create Your List of Self-Care Ideas
Below is a list of 100 self-care jar ideas for you to use, adapt, or make your own. This list can be copied directly or customized to your own desires! Get as creative as you want… this is YOUR self-care.
Step 2. Categorize Your Self-Care
If you choose to, you can color code and categories the ideas you put in the jar. Using different colored papers for different categories.
Color-code category ideas:
- Time – divide your ideas into how long they will take (10-min, 20-min, 30-min, 1-hour)
- Self-Love Language – categorize based on the 5 self-love languages (see this list of self-care ideas for each love language)
- 5 Senses – dedicate a color based on different self-care ideas for the 5 senses
- At-Home or Out-and-About – Divide your ideas into at-home activities or ones that get you out of the house
- Time of Day – Separate self-care ideas by the time of day they’ll take place (morning, day, or night)
- Free or Paid – Split the self-care acts into activities that are free and ones that will cost some money
- Solo or Social – Distinguish the solo self-care from the ones that involve socializing with others (there’s a time and place for both, but they’re very different moods!)
Step 3. Write Out the Ideas
Now it’s time to put those ideas into your jar!
Decide how (or if) you want to categorize/color-code your ideas. Choose if you’ll use paper, popsicle sticks, or something else to write your ideas on.
Then, get to writing them out. Feel free to get creative with some fun pens, a fancy font, or additional doodles/artwork.
Make this your own and have fun with it!
Step 4: Decorate and Customize
This is my personal favorite step. Really DIY-it-up here!
(If you’re not into decorating your own, you can purchase a pre-made self-care jar and add your own ideas into it as desired!)
Step 5: Select & Self-Care
Congratulations! You have just completed your DIY self-care jar… and now it’s time to use it.
Select your first activity from your new DIY self-care jar and DO IT!
Set your jar somewhere you will see it and remember to utilize it. Refer back to this jar as much as possible or any time you need a little pick-me-up.
Remember, self-care is essential! Do it often.
100 Self-Care Jar Ideas
Read through this list of 100 ideas for your self-care jar to get inspiration for filling your own jar!
These activities are sorted into 5 different categories of self-care to better help you navigate this master list of ideas: free, quick, solo, social, and “treat yourself“ self-care ideas!
Free Self-Care Ideas
Free is my favorite number. Let’s explore these self-care ideas that won’t cost you a thing.
- Take a walk
- Listen to an uplifting podcast
- Write a letter to a loved one
- Plan for the upcoming week
- Make a list of life goals
- Take a nap
- Turn off your phone for the day
- Write something creative in your empty notebooks
- Play with your pet
- Get inspired on Pinterest
- Make a manifestation list
- Follow a yoga YouTube video
- Rearrange your room
- Binge-watch your favorite TV show
- Detox your Instagram (see my positive Instagram tips)
- Tidy up your space
- Cuddle your significant other
- Take a self-care bath or self-care shower
- Listen to a happy song and dance around
- Call a loved one
Quick Self-Care Ideas
Only have a few minutes? These ideas are quick, easy, and effective!
- Step outside and breathe fresh air
- Stretch your body
- State positive affirmations
- Wash your face
- Put on your favorite pair of comfy pants (I LIVE in my Old Navy loungewear)
- Take a short walk
- Do some quick yoga
- Practice deep breathing
- Tidy up your space, wherever you may be
- Make a list of things you love about yourself
- Look up inspirational quotes
- Shut your eyes and rest for 5 minutes
- Send someone you love a quick, kind message
- Practice some mindfulness (Headspace is the best app for this)
- Grab a snack
- Journal in a quick 5-minute journal
- Consciously unclench and relax your body (from the top down – eyes, lips, jaw…)
- Have a mental check-in with your mind and body
- Put on a happy song
- Drink a glass of water
Solo Self-Care Ideas
In need of some alone time? These solo self-care ideas are going to be perfect for you!
- Have a baking day
- Do a guided Headspace meditation
- Get into nature
- Take yourself on a lunch date
- Learn something new
- Clean your house
- Do a puzzle
- Order your favorite dinner
- Meal-prep some time-saving breakfasts or healthy snacks
- Have a solo dance party
- Go for a drive
- Brainstorm your dream vacation
- Go through your closet and get rid of old clothes
- Decorate your home for the season/holiday/etc.
- Do some gardening
- Cross something off of your to-do list
- Play a game (board game, phone game, computer game)
- Color in a coloring book
- Start a new book
- Write a short story
Social Self-Care Ideas
Self-care doesn’t have to be done by yourself! Include some loved ones for some social self-care.
- Call a family member
- Make plans with a friend for the upcoming week
- Go out and give someone a compliment
- Take your work to a public place (coffee shop, etc.)
- Write a handwritten letter to someone
- Have a date night with your partner
- Go to dinner with a friend
- Send someone a kind text
- Leave a positive comment on someone’s Facebook/Instagram
- Reconnect with an old friend
- Pay it forward at a store/coffee shop
- Do a partner workout
- Make time to see your grandparent/parent/family member
- FaceTime someone who lives far away
- Go for a walk and talk on the phone
- Call your best girlfriends for a “girls’ night”
- Grab coffee with someone you haven’t seen in a while
- Hangout with your sibling
- Learn your partner’s love language
- Give a big hug
Treat Yourself Self-Care Ideas
You deserve to splurge on yourself from time to time. Here are some self-care jar ideas for when you want to treat yourself.
- Take yourself on a shopping spree
- Get yourself a self-care journal
- Grab yourself your favorite coffee and treat from Starbucks
- Sign up for online therapy (I highly recommend TalkSpace)
- Buy yourself your dinner from your favorite restaurant
- Plan a weekend getaway
- Put together a self-care kit
- Online shop at your favorite stores
- Splurge on something you’ve been wanting
- Pick up your favorite dessert
- Take a virtual workout class on AloMoves
- Rent a movie and have an at-home movie night
- Have a couple’s date night with your partner
- Buy yourself supplies to start a new hobby
- Get your nails done
- Go to Target and mindlessly wander
- Get yourself a gift for your love language
- Book a massage
- Have a spa day
- Get yourself at-home self-care supplies (face mask, hair care, nails, etc.)